As I mentioned last week, to know me is to know that anytime you see me that 9 times out of 10 you will be seeing my son too! I'm a teacher... I spend a lot of my time with other people's children, so when I get free time I try to spend as much of it as I can with my son. Except this weekend I will be doing a little bit of both. I always manage to find low-cost events in the city for us to join together. I'm back with this week's events...
- Once Upon a Time... and more Preschool Storytime: The Detroit Main Library has preschool storytime from 10:30-11 am followed by play and snack time from 11 am- 12 noon on February 2nd.
- Early Learning Play Date: The Detroit Library Redford location is hosting a early learning play date for families. They will provide the fun and you have to provide the supervision. This event is on February 3rd from 10:30-11:30 am. The Redford location is located on Grand River and W McNichols.
- Family Game Day at DNR Outdoor Adventure Center: The Outdoor Adventure Center is hosting a family fun day with games and fun activities for all ages. This event is on February 3rd from 12-3 pm. The cost is $5 for everyone 13-61, $3 for ages 2-12, and free for those under 2 years old.
- Puppet Performance: Can You Spell Harlem at the Detroit Institute of Arts: The Puppeteer Schroeder Cherry uses a cast of family characters who use art, music, and stories of Zora Neale Hurston, Eubie Blake, Aaron Douglas, and James Van Der Zee to put on a special puppet show about the Harlem Renaissance. She uses hand-carved rod puppets to enthrall audience members of all ages while celebrating role players of the Harlem Renaissance. This event will take place on Saturday and Sunday at 2 pm in the DIA Rivera Court. Admission to the DIA is free for residents of Wayne, Oakland, and Macomb counties.
- Meet Chase & Free Childcare Giveaway: Kidz Kingdom of detroit is hosting a special event celebrating the launch of their Extended Childcare Hours. Chase of Paw Patrol will be in attendance! One guest will earn a free Friday Night Out and others may win free pizza giveaways! The cost to attend is $10 per a child. Kidz Kingdom offers licensed child care and hosts parties on the weekends. Get more information about Kidz Kingdom at www.kidzkingdomdetroit.com
- Sesame Street: If your little one is anything like Baby A then he/she loves Sesame Street! There are 15 showings between January 25th and February 3rd. Tickets start at $17. Keep in mind that you have to get a ticket for any child over 1. Save money on fees by purchasing at the Fox Theatre. This week I have a discount code for $5 off: PIZZA.
- Black History Month Activities at the MI Science Center: The MI Science Center is offering Black History Month Activities every Thursday-Sunday from 1-3 pm during the month of February at the Explaner Station on the lower level. Some activities include: Heart Dissection (Daniel Hale Williams), Capillary Actions (W.B. Purvis), Binary Communication (Philip Emeagwali), Sounds and Vibrations (Granville Woods), and Cockroaches (Charles Henry Turner). These activities are free with the cost of general admission.
- Super Sparks All Access Family Days at the MI Science Center: MI Science Center offers special programming for families with special needs every first Sunday of each month from 12-6pm. This event features adaptive shows, demonstrations, and more. There is a special sounds down, lights up viewing of A Beautiful Planet in IMAX at 1 pm and Stories In the Sky in the Planetarium at 2 pm. General admission prices apply.
- Valentine Bean Bag Toss Kids Workshop at Home Depot: I am happy to see that Home Depot has this event open to several locations in the Metro Detroit area including the location on 7 Mile and Meyers! Home Depot is hosting a hands-on workshop for you and your child to create a bean bag toss game. All attendees must be accompanied by a parent or adult at all times. All children get to keep their creation, receive a free certificate of achievement, a workshop apron, and get a commemorative pin while supplies last. This event is for children ages 4+ and takes place on February 3rd from 9 am-12 pm.
- Harlem Globetrotters at the Little Caesars Arena: The infamous Harlem Globetrotters will be at Little Caesars Arena this Saturday at 1 pm. The Harlem Globetrotters are celebrating their 92nd anniversary. This show is quite entertaining and even features a female-trio. Tickets are $13+
The following are going on in neighboring suburbs if you're willing and able to cross city limits:
- Babes & Brews (Ferndale): My friend Amy hosts Babes & Brews at Urbanrest Brewing every first Friday for babywearing families. All are welcome and babywearing isn't required. Amy usually brings toys and books to share, but you're also welcome to bring your own. You can find them in the couch area. Urbanrests sells kombucha and beer. The kombucha is the best that I have ever had... Baby A enjoyed it too! You can bring your own food or purchase from whatever pop-up or food truck that Urbanrest Brewing is featuring.
- Wild Winter at the Detroit Zoo (Royal Oak): Wild Winter gives an opportunity to experience the magic of the Zoo in the winter. You can enjoy your favorite habitats indoors. There are also special activities, zookeeper talks, crafts, and more. This event takes place on Saturday from 10 am-2 pm. This event is free with admission. Pro tip: park in the side not, not the parking structure.
Baby A and I will likely be keeping it local all weekend. We have basketball practice tonight with the team, but will be attending the Early Learning Play Date prior to my school's volleyball and basketball games. Sunday we will likely be going to the puppet show at the DIA. What about you? Will you join us?