I’ve been gone from the blog for a while because well… it’s hard managing everything I have to do and everything I want to do. I spent a couple weeks off in December enjoying time with Baby A and in the midst of that my laptop got wine spilled on it and well... it’s out of commission for now. I have to get my keyboard fixed and that’s not in February’s budget.
I took some time off from school as well as blogging. I have had time to really figure out what it is that I want to accomplish this year. My list is quite extensive but it’s definitely doable and helps me knock some things off of my 30 x 30 list. Here it is:
- Get in shape and eat healthier: I started meal planning in January. I kept it pretty simple. Oatmeal for breakfast (also helped with my milk production). I had quinoa veggies and a protein for lunch and dinner. I snacked on various peanut bars, veggies (peppers, carrots, or celery), and Greek yogurt. It’s pretty time consuming, but definitely worth it. I lost 8 lbs in my first two weeks (I’m down to 172 by the way). I fell off for a week, but didn’t eat out. I have been able to maintain the weight loss. I’m still trying to fit the working out into my schedule, but I have been babywearing more. I have also been going out on friend play dates and getting my exercise in there.
- Giving myself more ME time: It’s so easy to lose yourself as a new mom. That’s not necessary. It’s ok and downright mandatory for you to get some you time in order to maintain sanity. I promised to give myself at least two me dates a month. I usually feel guilty about not my off days and time with my son. However I realized that in order for me to be the best mom to him that I have to give myself some time for myself. I work 5 days a week (most weeks) as a teacher. My weekends and scheduled school breaks serve as my time off. Baby A and I usually have activities schedule during the weekends from babywearing meet ups to swim lessons and scheduled play dates with other kids. I had to find a couple of hour during the week to have for me. My family has been helpful in watching Baby A for a bit while I sit in the next room catching up on shows or taking a nap. During the month of January, my friends and I went to play bubble soccer (see pic). It was so much fun! I went for a couple of hours and then came home to my son. It was probably the most fun I had in a long time. I realized then that it’s necessary for me to have me time and play dates of my own.
- More activities with my son: Hmmm so I want more me time but more activities with my son… YES! I WANT IT ALL. We started mommy and me swim lessons in October of 2016. He loved it. I loved it. We took a break though, but we’re back to it next Sunday…literally. We go to Le Leche League meetings and Babywearing link ups now. He gets to be around other babies and I get to be around other adults. It’s good for us and we really enjoy it. I find out so much from these other moms and my son gets to meet other babies since he doesn’t go to daycare. I want for us to find or maybe even start a walking (or maybe running once I get in better shape) stroller link up when the weather gets warmer. I want for us to be able to get out of the house and have fun and not just go out to eat and shop.
- Be more organized and consistent: This is truly hard for me. I am the queen of procrastinating but I am leaving that in February…because it snuck into 2017 with me somehow. I have been writing things in my planner as well as adding them to my calendar in my phone. I give myself time daily to master smaller to-dos. It’s kind of working, but I really need help because I’ve been unorganized and procrastinating all of my life. Please send tips! I started by cleaning off my desk at work. I cleaned out my car. I wash dishes daily (don’t fight me bro). I am even starting to do laundry weekly starting this week… at least bi-weekly. I’m taking my Monday to really get our apartment in order and giving everything a specific space. I also need to drop a new blog post every Sunday. Hold me to that. Hit me up with the “how’s this week’s blog post coming?” and the “what’s this week’s topic?”
- Travel more: Baby A and I will be going to Cuba this year. ISSA MUST! I have started planning and getting our itinerary together. We’re going to get him a passport within the next couple of weeks. We won’t be making it for my birthday week, but it will be our first trip this summer. In the meantime, we’ll be heading to New York this week and seeing the last Ringling circus. I want us to take a trip a month. Next month we’re heading south. I’m not sure what’s up for us in April just yet. If you know of good places for traveling with babies please share in the comments!
- Save more money: I bet you’re wondering HOW SWAY? How are you doing more…which requires more money, but saving more? It’s all about allocation. I am cutting out on other things. I’m cutting down on eating out…the goal is no more than once a week. I also started couponing! I created a budget and I’m trying my best to follow (hence the opening of this post). I am really trying out here! I did my friend Mesha’s Grocery Challenge! Y’all know I want to buy a house! Help me prosper…send me tips! How are you saving?
That’s enough for me… it seems like a lot but I know I can do it all. Women are real life super heroes who can do it all. Have you ever seen Wonder Woman and me in the same room? Coincidence? I think not. Watch me prosper!