I recently attended a yoga class at Citizen Yoga Detroit on their 3rd birthday. This class was free as apart of their birthday special. Although the special was open to all three of their locations (Detroit, Royal Oak, Birmingham), I chose to go to the Detroit location for obvious reasons. The Detroit location is located in Downtown Detroit. If you're familiar with the area then you know that parking can be a challenge. Parking downtown causes me so much anxiety. I drove around the block twice before going to their website for another reason and finding out that they offer parking validation if you park in the Z lot. At this point, I was loving this place already!Read More
Reflecting on 2017... I dropped the ball on a few things but I knocked a lot of things out the park as well. I don't know if y'all remember my 30x30 but here's what happened in the past 12 months...
- I haven't graduated but I have 3 classes left!
- I have 2 book reviews before the doula certification is complete.
- The certified lactation consultant probably won't be happening. It's so much science and I don't know if I did my due diligence with processing this. However, I do plan on doing my part to bring breastfeeding support to the city of Detroit.
- I'm like close to 30 on the states. This year I hope to take my son to Louisiana, California, and Florida.
- I haven't been to 4 continents smh... I need to budget more for that. I'm hoping to hit somewhere this summer.
- I baked something on Christmas Eve... that's a start. It was pretty good too. Here's the recipe I used.
- I certainly did not save $10k.... The goal is to invest more in 2018.
- THIS! BUY AND REHAB MY DREAM HOME! Y'all, we bought a house. We started renovating. It's definitely closer to our dreams. Be on the lookout for the room reveals slowly but surely... This was big for me!
- Learn to swim... nah, not yet. My son is closer than me.
- Road trip across the country... I haven't yet, but if you're down for this in summer 2018 PLEASE LET ME KNOW. It's a bonus if you have a kiddo to join.
- Rail through Europe... nah not yet... I'm hoping for summer 2018.
- Make something from scratch.. I'm close. I made the filling for a cheesecake. I didn't take on the task of making the crust. I'll try this in January and blog about it.
- I'm not fluent in Spanish yet, but I am speaking it more and more. Any adult tutors? Mommy and me classes?
- I'm not fluent in ASL either but Baby A and I communicate pretty well with the signs we know.
- I did not attend the US Open this year but it will be happening this year.
- I'm hoping to fly a helicopter for my birthday this year. Can anyone recommend a place?
- I have yet to run in an event yet, but my dear pal Ashlee encouraged me to download this app and get to it. I think we'll be running something this spring.
- I'm definitely not in shape, but in true New Year New Me fashion, I got a gym membership for the lows! I'm coming for y'all and getting my waist to look like Tinabina 2008.
- Mardi Gras... idk man... I hope to go this year but I also know that February will be here in no time. I don't want to leave my son but I also don't want to do the PG version of Mardi Gras. Please advise.
- Carnival celebration: PLEASE SEE THE PREVIOUS lol...
- I'm hoping Baby A and I can learn to play the piano or something together. Any mommy and me classes in the Detroit area?
- Go camping outdoors... I'm actually going this Spring y'all!
- I want to go on a cruise this year while I still have AAA :) please advise if you've traveled with a toddler on a cruise.
- I have this podcast in my head... I need a crew though.
- I'm closer to waist length hair than I have ever been. I cut my hair last November. It's back and at about bra strap/mid back length. I'm hoping that with this new stylist, a healthy diet, exercise and water that I will be there before the end of 2018. I definitely grew, and retained, 6 inches of hair this past year.
- I have yet to get past the chain with crocheting. I don't know if I have the patience.
- I haven't repurposed a piece of furniture, but we will soon.
- I'm taking my son to Disney very soon! I want to go with a group though.
- My credit score isn't excellent but I no longer pay rent, have no mortgage, no car note. I am not a slave to the lender and am working towards growing my savings which is helping my credit.
I'm not hitting everything just yet, but I am getting things done. It feels good to. look back on this list and see myself progressing. How are you doing towards your list? What do you need to cross some things off? Lets help each other.
Hey all! I know I completely dropped the ball last month, but here I am giving it another go! I am challenging myself to participate in Blogmas. Every post tagged Blogmas will be about something related to Christmas. Ideally blogmas post are daily. I'm going to try my hardest to hit that...despite being 5 days behind >_<Read More
I've been away for awhile. This wasn't something that I planned... but it was definitely necessary. I had a lot going on. That's not an excuse, but life does happen. I have neglected a lot of aspects of my life... including this blog. It has been hard for me to juggle everything. I'm a mother, a full-time teacher, a doula, finishing up my masters, and also trying to maintain my mental.Read More
Baby A and I are almost 15 months into this breastfeeding journey. I went from being very shaky (literally) and unsure of my ability to provide nourishment for my son to becoming a resource and a support to my friends, family, and even complete strangers. It's no secret that I support and encourage breastfeeding. I am very open about that. I have thoroughly enjoyed our breastfeeding experience through the ups and the downs.Read More
Babies are expensive! You get pregnant and a new set of bills and purchases start immediately. These bills and purchases range from gathering baby things, co-pays and prescription costs, to maternity photo shoots. All of these things really start to add up.
If you're anything like me then you're trying to cut cost anyway that you can. One way that I was able to do that was by planning and shooting my own photo shoot. Here's what I did:Read More
Baby A is the big ONE! We made it past our 1 year goal for breastfeeding! I plan on breastfeeding until he self weans... or maybe until 2. We'll see. We're both going with the flow. As I reflect back on this year journey, I noticed some pretty weird things that's been happening during feedings...Read More
I definitely wanted a boy, but I never knew how difficult it would be to find cute, good quality clothes for him. It only gets harder as they get older. The first few months was easy. You can put just about anything on a small baby and the outfit will look nice and cute on the baby. This time doesn't last. Cherish it! Here's a list of the best brands for baby boys:Read More
I had a week long break from school Feb 20th-24th so I decided that Baby A and I would travel to New York to visit my little sister and to see the last Ringling Circus. I booked a flight via Spirit about three weeks ago. Say what you will about Spirit, but we had a great flight experience both ways for a very very low price. We paid less than $100 for one round trip ticket.Read More
I recently had the opportunity to attend a couponing class hosted by Moms Who BOSS, a local social mom's group in Detroit. I had my reservations about attending, but I'm glad I did. I learned so much! The class included all the information you need to coupon such as coupon policies, tips, lingo breakdown, about 10 coupon inserts, and more.Read More
Pregnant. I looked at the test again... and there it was, two lines indicating that I was pregnant. Now what?
Well, despite having the evidence right in front of me, I was still in denial. So here's what I did...Read More
We relocated back to Michigan when Baby A was two weeks old. This experience taught me a lot about traveling with a newborn. Older and/or more traditional people will have you to believe that you shouldn't travel with a newborn or that your baby shouldn't leave the house within the first 3 months of life. That was ridiculous to me. My doctor and our pediatrician gave us the go ahead so we went for it.Read More
I would be lying if I said I wasn't excited for my son to finally turn 6 months old! I love breastfeeding and being his source of nutrients, but I was also ready to introduce new things to his diet. Baby A had been giving "signs" that he was ready to try new things. Those "signs" that I am referring to are: chewing (air), reaching for our food, picking up things using "pincer" grasp, sitting up without help, etc. His pediatrician gave us the okay to start with cereal when he was 4 months, but we were determined to go 6 months with exclusively breastfeeding.Read More
I love traveling! I wish my lifestyle and schedule permitted me to travel whenever I wanted, but I'm not quite there (yet). I make it a goal to take at least one big trip a year or a few smaller trips a year. Despite being in my third trimester, or with an infant, I have been able to take multiple trips to...Read More
We struggled every so often making sure that Baby A had enough milk of the week if I decided to hang during the weekend. However, the milk continued to come out of my breast and he never went without or had to skip a meal. It's rewarding, refreshing, and even economical to be able to breastfeed my son.Read More
His heartbeat was my favorite song long before we met face to face. I knew who he was before I even saw him. I dreamed about the day I would meet him long before he arrived and although they were my favorite dreams, nothing truly compared to my dream come true.Read More
When I shared the news that I was pregnant with my friends and family, I was met by mixed views. One in particular that stuck out to me was that my life was over. I refused to accept that. Becoming a mother would not end my life... my life would not be over! I will continue to live, experience, and have adventures. I'm 26 years old. I'm not where I want to be nor have I seen everything that I wanted to see yet, but I am determined to.
The birth of my son has enhanced my life and gave my life more purpose. I am and will continue to be a better woman, not only because of him, but especially for him. In order to hold myself accountable for such an important task, I created a 30 by 30 "bucket list."Read More